John Ellerman Family Tree
09 January, 2006
 
24th Jan 1831 to his friend Mr Helmsley in London:
“I have had my hands full of business of a public nature particularly with the many thousands of poor who have all been placed under my charge as the head of a comité to find employment for them and also getting pecuniary means. This object keeps one employed from morning to night. It is a heavy but very honourable charge as the security of the Town and its inhabitants depends on the same.”
24th Jan 1831 to his son Gustavus:
“You must strictly confine yourself from henceforth to £12.10 each quarter as it is impossible for me to allow you any more. The times, my dear boy, go very hard with us; economy must therefore be the order of the day. War is unavoidable. If so this place cannot remain my residence and as yet I have not been able to make up my mind where to go, except to Copenhagen. As matters are it would perhaps be as well for you to remain in the Mediterranean; even should the “Blonde” come home you might easily fit aboard another ship for coming home to us at a moment of general war would be cruel to us all, however happy, very happy it would make us to see you again.”
21st Jan 1831 to Count Munster, London:
“I have to thank your Excellency for your letter from Brighton dated 13th. I feel much gratified to observe that the King honoured my communications with his attention. I trust I shall ever find myself considered by His Majesty as one of his most devoted and faithful servants and I beg you will do me the honour of laying my dutiful respects before His Majesty thanking him for his very great consideration in requesting you to forward my petition to Sir Herbert Taylor, for which I feel very much obliged. Whenever you have an opportunity please to let Sir Hubert know that I was, of course, quite prepared for the payment of the annual price, which I know exceeds £100 a year, and that I should take care to lay such vouchers before him shortly as would I flatter myself entitle my son (Lionel) to the admission at College.
24th Jan 1831 to the Honourable C. Boyle:
“From Count Munster I heard the other day and was delighted to learn, that both Their Majesties were well and that The King felt considerable interest in my constant communications to the Count.”
On the 8th March he writes to T. F. Wedekind of Hanover:
“In London, The King received me in a manner peculiarly gracious and amiable at a private audience. He desired me to sit next to him and our conversation lasted three quarters of an hour. I was often at Count Munster’s. He and the Countess took me to a drawing room of the Queen. I returned by The Hague, where I had a private audience with the King of Holland which lasted an hour. I saw the Prince of Orange in London likewise at The Hague last Tuesday and consulted with him in reference to the unfortunate occurrences in this country.”
On 31st March 1831 he wrote to the Duke Bernard of Saxe-Weimar:
“When I visited the Hague I took the liberty of paying my respects to your Lady. H.H. received me in a most flattering manner.”
It will be seen that early in 1831 my father seeing the sad turn which political events had taken in Belgium threatening the destruction of the trade of Antwerp, had then contemplated establishing a house of trade in Copenhagen. When, after his visit to England he proceeded to Holland, his plans took different directions and his short stay at Rotterdam brought about an immediate decision in his mind that that was the place for his new mercantile trade.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Gives the genealogy of the Ellerman family with relatives in UK, Australia and USA. Also contains documents and letters pertaining to Sir Abraham Ellerman and his role in the formation of Belgium in 1831.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger