John Ellerman Family Tree
12 January, 2006
 
My father writes on 20th May 1831 to Lord Ponsonby:
“I have not been pleased with General Du Failly who is a warm member of the association (Association Nationale) and felt extremely piqued that I should be in possession of General Chassé’s intentions an hour or two after he had received the same himself. However, it has effected a great deal of good but his reply to Colonel Rupert of General Chassé’s staff shows plainly, by the very language, that he felt vexed and I was obliged to press him hard for a copy thereof, which I demanded to send to Mr Abercrombie. He said ‘C’est tant la fante de vous avec votre non-intervention.’
I am sorry to have to add that in consequence of my exertions yesterday I have hurt one of my legs which may keep me confined to my house for 12 or 14 days.”
Fortunately my father’s intervention, or rather interposition, had the desired effect, the magistrates, justly alarmed for the safety of the city, obtained what General Chassé wanted; the assurance that the works directed against himself should be discontinued. I see my excellent father hurrying about with a view to save the town from destruction at a time when every minute was precious and a moment’s delay might involve the most serious consequences to the public. He must evidently have had a warm altercation with General Du Hailly at the House of the Burgomaster, Mr Lefrelle, and it was on leaving this house irritated and vexed that he must have snapped the tendon of his leg which stretched him for a time upon a bed of suffering – another sacrifice to the public weal. It is interesting to follow him in the description of the dreadful and painful times he traversed, having much property at stake, his own private interest more or less jeopardised, his own life and the personal security of his family in constant danger.
He writes on the 28th May 1831 to Mr Marcus Derkheim:
“I am confined to my house and become a victim of my zeal displayed on Wednesday last to prevent the horrors of a second bombardment with which General Chassé at least threatened the works carried on against him by the Belgians ever since yesterday week and with which progress was made close under the guns of our Citadel. A despatch was in consequence sent by General Chassé’s orders to our commanding officer here desiring these works to cease within 6 hours from the time of delivery at our advanced posts or that his fire would open. Copy of that despatch with an open letter to the Magistrate here was sent to me by General Chassé with desire to deliver the same into the hands of the Burgomaster. When the same reached me only 3½ hours were left and the Belgians still hard at work. My activity was required to get the authorities and General together and I unfortunately snapped the tendon in my left leg, which may keep me laid up for 10 to 12 days, or many months, unless I take good care of myself.
These are anxious moments for a husband and father however I have an excellent and courageous helpmate who still keeps well as do all my children.”
On the 25th May, to Sir Hugh Halkett, Hanover:
“All must come to a crisis before the 1st of next month. No doubt we shall have a very hot day of it. – My wife and children I am firmly resolved to send out of Town as soon as I learn that Lord Ponsonby comes back. As for myself, I am firmly determined to remain at my post, indeed I shall not be able to move much about as I am laid up and walk on crutches since Wednesday last, when I snapped the principal tendon of my leg by hard running wishing to save the Town from a horror with which we were threatened if the Belgians had continued for an hour longer to carry out their works against the Citadel.”
The constant fear of hostilities recommencing through imprudence or want of faith on the part of the Belgians kept the inhabitants of Antwerp in a continual state of alarm. Many of these abandoned the Town to resort to the neighbouring villages for greater safety whilst the known adherents to the Dutch cause, amongst whom ranked my father, were exposed to outrage, insult and attack on the part of the members of the Association Nationale with which the Governor, Mr ….mans, sympathised. Later on this person was replaced by Mr Charles Napier who entered upon his functions with zeal and integrity and restored quiet and order to a certain extent.
On 25th May my father wrote to Lord George Stuart:
“Many thanks for the interest you have manifested on my and my family’s account. We all possess your best wishes and sympathy which is always cheering for God knows the last 7 months we have passed have been filled with the most anxious and disturbing scenes you can possibly imagine – I have perhaps braved the dangers around us more than any one. I felt convinced in my own mind that nothing could interfere with me as to political or raise a question against me as an individual. Not so however did my wife consider matters; she has been frequently very much alarmed and entertained much apprehension about my personal security, particularly during the night of the general pillage here when my excellent friend the Burgomaster and several houses of friends were ransacked. However no attempt was made upon mine and had there been any I was so well prepared to receive them warmly that many lives would have paid for such an insult. Indeed I keep 8 muskets and firearms beside pistols ready loaded 2 of which form my companions, loaded every night by my bedside. Charles, whom I am happy to say, possesses much courage, determination and character, is my faithful aide-de-camp. A 12 lb cannonade faces the door and the latter is closed every night with boards well barricaded inside. Thus I am at all events well prepared and I believe none doubts my determination.”
On 30th May to his son Gustavus:
“I have arranged that your mother and the children move off at once for Schortenhof. I and Charles however, remain here and should the bullets fall too thick in the Rue de Venns our cellar will be bomb proof. We have all our furniture, plate and a good deal of other valuable property ….
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Gives the genealogy of the Ellerman family with relatives in UK, Australia and USA. Also contains documents and letters pertaining to Sir Abraham Ellerman and his role in the formation of Belgium in 1831.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger