John Ellerman Family Tree
10 January, 2006
 
On 28th March 1831 he writes to his friend Denzil T Thompson of London:
“I had a very pleasant passage to Rotterdam and in 24 hours made some necessary arrangements and of course a good deal of inquiry and have every expectation that an establishment there will succeed. Bertram goes there on Wednesday or Thursday next and William accompanies him; thus three of my boys are afloat or rather launched into the world. Charles remains with me.”
On the 31st March I (that is my Uncle William mentioned above eg) started with Bertram for Rotterdam. I remember perfectly my father’s farewell and parting and recommendation to bear an honourable character – always to remember that I was his son. I find the following as a specimen of his introductory letters which were addressed to an excellent and kind gentleman of the name of James Young of Rotterdam dated 30th March.
“My son William will do himself the honour of delivering this. He leaves his home early in life but carries with him a good stock of the best principles of honour and virtue which I trust to God he will preserve as his greatest treasures in life.”
During the month of March 1831 a league was formed amongst the Orangists with a view to restore the Dynasty of Nassau16 to the throne. General van der Smissen then Military Governor of Antwerp was engaged in this conspiracy which was encouraged by my father whose attachment to the cause was no secret to anyone. It was supposed that the Colonels of some of the Belgian regiments quartered at Antwerp had been gained over to the cause of the house of Nassau and that at the moment chosen for the purpose, a well concerted movement would have drawn in a sufficient number of adherents to secure success.
The 26th of March had been fixed upon as the day of action. I remember with what anxiety my father awaited the news that the Dutch flag would again be waved from the walls of the city. The conspiracy failed from want of union and decision, perhaps the result of treachery and van der Smissen, who stood at the head, saved himself by flight from the pursuit of the government at Brussels. The discovery of this conspiracy led to great excitement and angry feelings. All persons known to have been connected with it, as indeed all those who were supposed to be favourable to the cause of Nassau were exposed to danger and insult or outrage. On the evening of the day of my departure for Rotterdam 31st March the town was overrun by a gang of incendiaries and pillagers who broke into several houses pillaging and destroying what they could lay their hands upon. My father, known to be a staunch Orangist, was exposed to the same fate, indeed his name was on the list of those upon whom the fury of these monsters, instigated by party feeling, had determined to wreak its vengeance. Fortunately his house was spared that night and the following day the Authorities, fearing a recurrence of atrocities declared the town in a state of siege and proclaimed martial law. To give you an idea of what my poor father underwent during that fearful night I extract the following from his private correspondence.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Gives the genealogy of the Ellerman family with relatives in UK, Australia and USA. Also contains documents and letters pertaining to Sir Abraham Ellerman and his role in the formation of Belgium in 1831.

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger